Home » News » Roads and Travel
Sarah Mildred Long Bridge in Portsmouth stuck, closed
The bridge span was lifted in the afternoon as a cold-weather exercise and became out of line when being lowered back down, Bill Boynton, spokesman with the state Department of Transportation said.
Boynton said this sometimes happens, but the problem is compounded by damage to the tracks in which the span runs.
NHDOT Commissioner Chris Clement and other officials visited the bridge on Wednesday to assess the problem and see when and how it can be fixed.
Boynton said he was told it could be a while.?
"We're not sure how long it is going to take to fix it at this point,"? Boynton said.
The Sarah Mildred Long Bridge was built in the 1940s and is New Hampshire's number-one red-list bridge. It is one of two bridges currently connecting Portsmouth and Kittery, Maine, while the Memorial Bridge is under construction.
The middle bridge of the three has been plagued with problems and has a weight limit.
Traffic was rerouted to the I-95 high-level bridge on Wednesday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Hour of Code' taps student creativity - 1
- Fired Epping children's librarian gets public hearing - 0
- Hillsborough district names its Teacher of Year - 0
- Nashua Board of Education signals new leadership - 0
- PSU adjunct faculty members approve three-year contract - 0
- UNH, trustees seek to reverse arbitrator's decision to reinstate professor - 13
- NH students take part in computer education week - 0
- Math world stunned by UNH lecturer's find - 3
- Consultant report on UNH Manchester issues almost done - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 6
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child