Home » Opinion » Editorials
Obama the liberal: The question is settled
Don't take our word for it. Here are what left-of-center commentators said after Obama spoke.
David Remnick, editor of The New Yorker, wrote: "Obama's speech was infinitely better, more self-assured, more politically precise than his first. This was Barack Obama without apology - a liberal emboldened by political victory and a desire to enter the history books with a progressive agenda."
The Washington Post editorialized, "President Obama inaugurated his second term Monday with something approaching a liberal manifesto: a clear statement of what he hopes to accomplish over the next four years."
Liberal columnist Michael Kinsley wrote that the debate over whether Obama is a liberal or moderate is over; he is clearly a liberal whose "vision of a properly run society is closer to the European model..."
None of this should be a surprise. Conservatives have pointed out for years that Obama was an activist liberal pretending to be a moderate. Monday's speech proves that. Now prepare for an aggressive four-year effort to remake America in Europe's image.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Stark Covered Bridge repairs underway, to be completed in Spring 2015 - 0
- Londonderry allows DOT to assume management of Exit 4A project - 0
- DOT orders bridge closure in West Swanzey - 0
- Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A - 0
- Traffic change Wednesday for Keene State move-in day - 0
- Historic Blair Bridge in Campton reopened - 1
- Creative ways to finance rail in NH pushed - 11
- Hudson grapples with traffic concerns as industrial park grows - 0
- Nashua transportation roundtable event canceled - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Flash mob workshop will be a 'Thriller' - 0
- Former Royals slugger and current Giants scout Balboni's heart remains with San Francisco - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: The pesky problem of financing inventions - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Kelley Tambouris: I am a Manchester teacher, and I need more support - 0
- What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy - 0
- Government thinks it's your right not to know - 0
- On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it - 1
- Two nonprofits receive a 'quick' $25,000 after pitch - 0
- Big step forward for Littleton outdoor footwear manufacturer - 0
Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future
Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault
Monitoring social media
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
After riots, soul-searching begins
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy