Home » Opinion » Editorials
Obama the liberal: The question is settled
Don't take our word for it. Here are what left-of-center commentators said after Obama spoke.
David Remnick, editor of The New Yorker, wrote: "Obama's speech was infinitely better, more self-assured, more politically precise than his first. This was Barack Obama without apology - a liberal emboldened by political victory and a desire to enter the history books with a progressive agenda."
The Washington Post editorialized, "President Obama inaugurated his second term Monday with something approaching a liberal manifesto: a clear statement of what he hopes to accomplish over the next four years."
Liberal columnist Michael Kinsley wrote that the debate over whether Obama is a liberal or moderate is over; he is clearly a liberal whose "vision of a properly run society is closer to the European model..."
None of this should be a surprise. Conservatives have pointed out for years that Obama was an activist liberal pretending to be a moderate. Monday's speech proves that. Now prepare for an aggressive four-year effort to remake America in Europe's image.
READER COMMENTS: 11
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 0
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 13
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 12
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
- Charles Krauthammer: Obama the oblivious - 6
- Roger Simon: What Nelson Mandela overcame - 1
- George Will: Raise the minimum wage? It's iffy - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 0
- 'The Granite Wall' stays solid as UNH marches into postseason - 0
- Lebanon City Hall renovation could move forward at hearing - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan