Home » News » Public Safety
Danbury woman died in head-on crash in Bristol
Police Chief Micheal Lewis said it appears glare from heavy late-afternoon sun was the only hazardous driving factor that caused driver Michael Lemieux, 18, of Bristol, to leave the westbound lane suddenly just before 4 p.m. Wednesday.
Lemieux's Chevrolet Suburban luxury SUV struck a small sedan driven by Susan Fullerton, who died instantly in the crash, Lewis said.
Fullerton, who had just finished work and was on her way to visit friends, was driving eastbound when her car collided with Lemieux's. The accident occurred on a curve near the Homestead Restaurant, in a section of road known for blinding sun late in the day, Lewis said.
Lewis said though Fullerton was an innocent victim, there will likely be no charges pressed against Lemieux.
"At this point I don't think so"Lewis said. "There were no problems with his (alcohol) tests and speed wasn't a factor. The sun was the factor."
Lewis said Lemieux, who refused medical treatment and was apparently uninjured, was clearly distraught at the news that Fullerton had died.
"He was pretty upset," Lewis said.
A large section of Route 104 was closed to all traffic beginning just before 4 p.m. The road was reopened at about 7 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
When company comes, opt for variety
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Market Basket community waits and watches