Home » Opinion » Editorials
Expendable lives: The pro-choice end point
On Wednesday, Salon.com staff writer Mary Elizabeth Williams showed where Roe leads. The science is now quite clear that the little clump of cells growing inside the womb is not merely "tissue," but a life. Williams acknowledges that, and criticizes the pro-choice movement for "drawing stupid semantic lines in the sand" such as "trimesters" and for being "illogically contradictory" for claiming that an aborted fetus is not a life, but a wanted fetus is a baby.
And yet, she states, "so what?"
"Yet a fetus can be a human life without having the same rights as the woman in whose body it resides. She's the boss. Her life and what is right for her circumstances and her health should automatically trump the rights of the non-autonomous entity inside of her. Always."
This is the logical end result of the pro-choice movement. It simply cannot go anywhere else. Human rights are bestowed not by God, but by other humans for their own purposes. Humans with more power have more rights, period. History is full of examples of where this thinking leads.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Auburn Child Find clinic set - 0
- Rist defends his salary as interim Central principal - 5
- Londonderry band takes 1 trip for 2 parades - 0
- Londonderry students rewarded with indoor 'snowball' fight - 0
- Student artwork on display in Derry for PTA's Reflections - 0
- $1 million cut from Nashua school budget - 0
- Video on molestation, shown to Manchester 3rd graders, upsets parents - 19
- Claremont high school’s renovation causes upset, sparks inspection - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- ‘Coffee with a Cop’ promotes police, community relations - 0
- Troy voters accept community center donation - 0
- Voters support Bow School District articles - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Nashua mayor: Greeley Park is right spot for playground - 0
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents