Home » News » Public Safety
Portsmouth bridge remains closed to traffic
Crews continued to make good progress on structural damage done to the bridge when the lift span went askew during a lift on Wednesday as temperatures warmed slightly.
New Hampshire Department of Transportation spokesman Bill Boynton said the center span had been seated back at road level inside the vertical guides in which it rides up and down by Friday afternoon but crews continued to work on structural steel repairs.
He said NH DOT crews hope to have the structural steel work completed by late Saturday.
"Under the best case scenario we would hope to do a test lift late tomorrow," Boynton said on Friday afternoon. "The priority right now is to be able to get the bridge lifted so it would free it up for river traffic."
Boynton said they are very much aware that there are boats waiting to get up river.
"We understand the urgency of it and are working very hard to get the bridge operating again," Boynton said.
They are attributing Wednesday's incident to an electrical malfunction which apparently contributed to the motors that work the lift mechanism not working in tandem and causing the lift span to go out of line.
"So once the physical damage is repaired, there are still going to be a series of tests to make sure it doesn't get stuck again for whatever reason," Boynton said.
He is hopeful the bridge will be open to vehicular traffic by Monday.
Constructed in 1940, the Sarah Mildred Long bridge is New Hampshire's number one "red list" bridge, meaning it is the bridge most in need of repair in the state.
Maine is leading the charge on a plan to replace the bridge, a project estimated to cost about $170 million. The bridge includes a rail line that serves the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard.
The bridge is co-owned by the states of New Hampshire and Maine along with the Memorial Bridge, currently under construction, and the I-95 high rise bridge.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 1
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 9
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket