Home » News » Public Safety
Smoke from overheated pipe organ forces evacuation of Salem funeral
Members of the Salem Fire Department responded to reports of heavy smoke inside the building shortly after 11 a.m.
Though initially reported as a working fire, no fire was present in the building, said Fire Capt. Timothy Kenney, though it was initially called in as such in order to summon additional help at the scene.
“There were a lot of people inside the church and there was an obvious smoke condition," Kenney said. The building was evacuated within about 10 minutes and the mourners in the funeral procession went about their way unharmed.
With firefighters from Windham and Methuen, Mass., assisting at the scene and staff from the Pelham and Derry fire departments providing station coverage, the smoke was determined to have come from the basement.
The old electrical motor that aerates the sanctuary pipe organ had apparently overheated, creating clouds of black smoke.
“When that happened, it also tripped up the electrical system, so the power went out too," Kenney said. '
The church’s electrician was working to restore power to the building by early afternoon.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
- Hampton police searching for missing Mass. woman - 0
- Officials mum on investigation of Lyman infant's death - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph - 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 11
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax