Home » News » Public Safety
Smoke from overheated pipe organ forces evacuation of Salem funeral
Members of the Salem Fire Department responded to reports of heavy smoke inside the building shortly after 11 a.m.
Though initially reported as a working fire, no fire was present in the building, said Fire Capt. Timothy Kenney, though it was initially called in as such in order to summon additional help at the scene.
“There were a lot of people inside the church and there was an obvious smoke condition," Kenney said. The building was evacuated within about 10 minutes and the mourners in the funeral procession went about their way unharmed.
With firefighters from Windham and Methuen, Mass., assisting at the scene and staff from the Pelham and Derry fire departments providing station coverage, the smoke was determined to have come from the basement.
The old electrical motor that aerates the sanctuary pipe organ had apparently overheated, creating clouds of black smoke.
“When that happened, it also tripped up the electrical system, so the power went out too," Kenney said. '
The church’s electrician was working to restore power to the building by early afternoon.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Motorcyclist suffers minor injuries in Saturday crash in Laconia - 0
- 18-year-old located with mother, brother on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Two killed in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- New fire training facility proposed in Nashua - 0
- 2 die in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- NH police on lookout for drunken drivers - 5
- Marine Patrol called to multiple crashes - 0
- Hiker rescued on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 1
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 1
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
The JV team: Obama's unbelievable admission
Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate
'Our job is to rebuild that middle class'