Home » News » Public Safety
Smoke from overheated pipe organ forces evacuation of Salem funeral
Members of the Salem Fire Department responded to reports of heavy smoke inside the building shortly after 11 a.m.
Though initially reported as a working fire, no fire was present in the building, said Fire Capt. Timothy Kenney, though it was initially called in as such in order to summon additional help at the scene.
“There were a lot of people inside the church and there was an obvious smoke condition," Kenney said. The building was evacuated within about 10 minutes and the mourners in the funeral procession went about their way unharmed.
With firefighters from Windham and Methuen, Mass., assisting at the scene and staff from the Pelham and Derry fire departments providing station coverage, the smoke was determined to have come from the basement.
The old electrical motor that aerates the sanctuary pipe organ had apparently overheated, creating clouds of black smoke.
“When that happened, it also tripped up the electrical system, so the power went out too," Kenney said. '
The church’s electrician was working to restore power to the building by early afternoon.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State House Dome: Just past Concord session a mixed bag - 0
- Monarchs squeak by Bruins - 0
- Memorial hockey shuts out Trinity - 0
- Dover's Parratto a national champion - 0
- UNH defense comes up big against Redbirds - 0
- St. Anselm men knock off Post - 0
- Leadership, defense made Katie Bishop, of Conway, an All-American - 0
- Jet menace faltered under Rex - 0
- Strong start lifts Bedford to win - 0
UNH loses to Illinois State
Nashua police left rattled by tot's death
A new era for Nashua's police force
Haylee Ann-Marie Patten