Home » News » Public Safety
Dialysis patients among evacuees after smoky elevator fire at Brady Sullivan Tower
No one was injured in the incident that happened about 8:45 a.m. Fire Chief James Burkush said 18 patients, who were receiving dialysis treatment at the Manchester Kidney Center, which just recently moved into the first floor of the 1750 Elm St. building, were outside for only a few minutes before the building was cleared of smoke and they were allowed back inside.
District Fire Chief James Michael said a second-alarm was called because of the size of the building, the large number of people in it and because it took time for firefighters to locate the fire. Once they found the fire in a 3-by-6-foot elevator generator, they quickly extinguished it.
The building has two sections - one with four floors and the other with 12, Michael explained. The entire building was evacuated as a precaution.
Burkush said the Manchester Transit Authority was called to bring buses to the site to accommodate the kidney dialysis patients, but by the time they arrived the patients already were back inside.
The under control was sounded about 30 minutes after the fire was reported. Office workers were then allowed back inside but some had to trudge up the stairs to their offices because the elevators were temporarily shut down.
Soon after, however, all were back in use, except for the one with the damaged generator.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem