Home » News » Public Safety
Dialysis patients among evacuees after smoky elevator fire at Brady Sullivan Tower
No one was injured in the incident that happened about 8:45 a.m. Fire Chief James Burkush said 18 patients, who were receiving dialysis treatment at the Manchester Kidney Center, which just recently moved into the first floor of the 1750 Elm St. building, were outside for only a few minutes before the building was cleared of smoke and they were allowed back inside.
District Fire Chief James Michael said a second-alarm was called because of the size of the building, the large number of people in it and because it took time for firefighters to locate the fire. Once they found the fire in a 3-by-6-foot elevator generator, they quickly extinguished it.
The building has two sections - one with four floors and the other with 12, Michael explained. The entire building was evacuated as a precaution.
Burkush said the Manchester Transit Authority was called to bring buses to the site to accommodate the kidney dialysis patients, but by the time they arrived the patients already were back inside.
The under control was sounded about 30 minutes after the fire was reported. Office workers were then allowed back inside but some had to trudge up the stairs to their offices because the elevators were temporarily shut down.
Soon after, however, all were back in use, except for the one with the damaged generator.
READER COMMENTS: 61
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
READER COMMENTS: 3
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 0
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 3
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 2
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time