Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Hawks claw back from 27-point deficit to beat C's in 2OT
Al Horford scored seven of his 24 points in the second overtime to go with 13 rebounds and Jeff Teague added 23 points before fouling out for the Hawks, who also erased a nine-point deficit in the final 3 1/2 minutes of regulation en route to sending the Celtics to their sixth consecutive defeat.
Josh Smith had 17 points and 14 rebounds and put Atlanta ahead to stay by converting a three-point play early in the second overtime session to ignite a 10-0 spurt.
Rajon Rondo had his second consecutive triple-double with 16 points, 11 assists and 10 boards for Boston, which used a 13-0 run to take a 29-10 lead after one quarter and extended it to 48-21 midway through the second quarter.
The Hawks stormed back with a 19-0 run early in the third quarter, getting a pair of 3-pointers from Korver, to tie it with 6:16 left in the third. Courtney Lee sparked a 9-0 run to build a 10-point lead for Boston with 4:43 left in regulation, but Korver hit twice from behind the arc and Teague buried a 3-pointer to help force overtime.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Kevin Garnett had 24 points and 10 boards for the Celtics before fouling out in the second overtime. ... Korver had three points at the half but nailed all eight of his 3-pointers in the second half to finish 8-of-13 from behind the arc. His eight 3-pointers in one half marked an NBA record. ... Rondo has a league-high five triple-doubles this season and 28 for his career.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weal powers Monarchs past Phantoms - 0
- Gale lifts Monarchs to 3-1 win - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Weary Monarchs lose in shootout - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs yet to flip switch on power play - 0
- Monarchs fall, settle for two-win weekend - 0
- Ian Clark's Monarchs Notebook: Berube makes most of his shot - 0
- Red-hot Monarchs top Wolf Pack on the road - 0
- Deslauriers comes through in the Nick of time for Monarchs - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan