Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Bruins push past Islanders, 4-2
Fourth-liner Shawn Thornton, Gregory Campbell and Patrice Bergeron all scored their first goals of the season for Boston. Rookie Dougie Hamilton added a pair of assists and Tuukka Rask finished with 24 saves as the Bruins improved to 3-0-0 at home.
Keith Aucoin recorded his first career two-goal game and fellow Massachusetts native Rick DiPietro made his season debut and finished with 23 saves for the Islanders.
With the game tied at 2-2, the Bruins cycled the puck behind the net before Nathan Horton sent a centering pass to Chara in the high slot. The hulking defenseman hesitated before firing a wrist shot past a screened DiPietro for his first goal of the season.
Bergeron provided insurance with 6:27 remaining after accepting a cross-ice breakout pass from Hamilton before skating in and tucking the puck past the outstretched pad of DiPietro.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Claude Julien moved into a tie for third place on the Bruins' all-time coaching wins list. Julien and Don Cherry have 231 victories apiece. ... Boston went 0-for-3 on the power play to drop to 1-for-17 with the man advantage this season. ... Bruins D Dennis Seidenberg returned after a two-game absence with a lower-body injury. He had a team-high four blocked shots.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Bruins cruise to Game 2 win over Rangers - 1
- Game 1 thriller goes to Bruins in OT - 0
- Bruins vs. Rangers: Here we go again - 0
- Bruins win Game 7 in overtime in epic comeback - 2
- Bruins’ scoring woes continue; series finale tonight - 0
- Goalie Reimer brilliant against Bruins as Leafs force Game 6 - 0
- Krejci 'tricks' Toronto, Bruins one win from advancing - 0
- Bruins beat Toronto for series lead - 0
- Bruins strong out of the gate, beat Toronto to open playoffs - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 0
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 5
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 29
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands