Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
Pair sought for thefts from elderly shoppers in Portsmouth
According to police, an 83-year-old woman reported that her wallet had been stolen, and within an hour of the theft, several fraudulent transactions exceeding $5,000 had been posted to her accounts, said police.
Police said further investigation revealed that the victim had been approached by a black woman while shopping in the store. The victim reported that the woman had engaged her in a "brief and random" conversation.
The woman was identified by surveillance and was subsequently identified at a nearby store where one of the fraudulent transactions occurred, according to police.
The woman is believed to have been accompanied by a black man, whose image was also captured by surveillance.
Police are working with Portland, Maine, police and Greenland police to locate the pair.
Portsmouth police said the Portland Police Department took a similar report involving the same culprits and similar actions.
Police say the pair have consistently targeted elderly women who are shopping by themselves, approaching and engaging the patrons in random conversation to distract them while taking the wallet or purse from the carriage.
Police said information obtained during their investigation shows the thieves often complete these acts near main roadways or highways and in areas of condensed commercial businesses.
Police are asking anyone with information to contact them at 610-7613.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester man convicted on drug, weapons counts - 0
- Jury considers fate of Londonderry man in sex assault trial - 0
- Bay State following in NH's footsteps with 'upskirting' law - 2
- Epping supermarket worker arrested after brutal break room attack on female coworker - 4
- Nashua woman arrested in connection with homeless man's hit-and-run death - 2
- Roommate convicted of selling heroin out of former Manchester teacher's home - 2
- Senate approves parental rights bill - 2
- Raymond police investigating thefts of cord wood - 0
- Pelham police arrest Mass. man near scene of thefts from cars - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 9
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 4
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again