Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Pair sought for thefts from elderly shoppers in Portsmouth
According to police, an 83-year-old woman reported that her wallet had been stolen, and within an hour of the theft, several fraudulent transactions exceeding $5,000 had been posted to her accounts, said police.
Police said further investigation revealed that the victim had been approached by a black woman while shopping in the store. The victim reported that the woman had engaged her in a "brief and random" conversation.
The woman was identified by surveillance and was subsequently identified at a nearby store where one of the fraudulent transactions occurred, according to police.
The woman is believed to have been accompanied by a black man, whose image was also captured by surveillance.
Police are working with Portland, Maine, police and Greenland police to locate the pair.
Portsmouth police said the Portland Police Department took a similar report involving the same culprits and similar actions.
Police say the pair have consistently targeted elderly women who are shopping by themselves, approaching and engaging the patrons in random conversation to distract them while taking the wallet or purse from the carriage.
Police said information obtained during their investigation shows the thieves often complete these acts near main roadways or highways and in areas of condensed commercial businesses.
Police are asking anyone with information to contact them at 610-7613.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting Canaan police chief - 0
- Police say man attacked woman with sword - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Burglary spee brings more charges for Seabrook man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- “The VA has pointed me in the right direction,” he said. - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424