Home » News » Public Safety
Portsmouth bridge is up, but motor vehicles must wait out the weekend
"The bridge was successfully raised at 6:40 and almost immediately a boat went through," said Bill Boynton, spokesman for the state Department of Transportation. "There was a line of ships that were waiting."
The bridge will remain up until 2 p.m. Sunday, when more tests will be conducted.
The state hopes motor vehicle traffic will be able to move across the bridge, part of the Route 1 Bypass, on Monday, he said.
The bridge had been lifted Wednesday as a cold weather exercise and became out of alignment when it was lowered.
Traffic has been rerouted around the bridge to the Interstate 95 bridge.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 0
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Hockey: Teams anxious to play - 0
- Manchester Mayor Gatsas: Vote tells me Hooksett is satisfied with Manchester schools - 0
- After Pinkerton rejection, what's next for Hooksett students? - 0
- Nashua aldermen approve pair of union contracts - 0
- Was a crime committed? Nashua police are not certain - 0
- Nashua must decide on parkway project's bridge aesthetics - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal
Hooksett has five new school board members
A CIA bombshell: Feinstein and the Fourth