Home » News » Public Safety
No hazardous material found at Jaffrey firm
The special unit from Keene was brought in as a precaution, said Jaffrey Fire Chief David Chamberlain.
In the end a suspected hazardous liquid was determined not to be hazardous, he said.
Firefighters were first called at 6:30 a.m. Saturday for a report of a small amount of smoke coming from an oxidizer unit on the roof.
The unit cleans the exhaust air that comes off the manufacturing process, Chamberlain said.
Teleflex manufactures medical tubing and other tubing at the Jaffrey plant.
No manufacturing was taking place on Saturday, but some employees were at the plant to conduct maintenance.
When firefighters arrived they found the small amount of smoke coming from the machine as well as a small amount of a liquid substance oozing form the bottom of the machine.
No fire or smoke was found inside the building, but the Keene HAZMAT unit was called in just in case.
"It was a precaution for responders and employees at the facility to make sure it wasn't anything to be of any concern," he said.
Firefighters cleared at 12:48 p.m. after it was determined to be safe.
Teleflex will contact the manufacturer of the oxidizer unit for more information, Chamberlain said.
"We were not able to identify it completely what it was, but we were able to determine it wasn't a hazardous spill," he said.
No one was injured.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 5
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 150
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 23
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
- Central High student says he was knocked unconscious; police investigate racial motive - 0
Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air
Manipulating NH: Bloomberg and the terrorist
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off