Home » News » Public Safety
No hazardous material found at Jaffrey firm
The special unit from Keene was brought in as a precaution, said Jaffrey Fire Chief David Chamberlain.
In the end a suspected hazardous liquid was determined not to be hazardous, he said.
Firefighters were first called at 6:30 a.m. Saturday for a report of a small amount of smoke coming from an oxidizer unit on the roof.
The unit cleans the exhaust air that comes off the manufacturing process, Chamberlain said.
Teleflex manufactures medical tubing and other tubing at the Jaffrey plant.
No manufacturing was taking place on Saturday, but some employees were at the plant to conduct maintenance.
When firefighters arrived they found the small amount of smoke coming from the machine as well as a small amount of a liquid substance oozing form the bottom of the machine.
No fire or smoke was found inside the building, but the Keene HAZMAT unit was called in just in case.
"It was a precaution for responders and employees at the facility to make sure it wasn't anything to be of any concern," he said.
Firefighters cleared at 12:48 p.m. after it was determined to be safe.
Teleflex will contact the manufacturer of the oxidizer unit for more information, Chamberlain said.
"We were not able to identify it completely what it was, but we were able to determine it wasn't a hazardous spill," he said.
No one was injured.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax