Home » News » Public Safety
No hazardous material found at Jaffrey firm
The special unit from Keene was brought in as a precaution, said Jaffrey Fire Chief David Chamberlain.
In the end a suspected hazardous liquid was determined not to be hazardous, he said.
Firefighters were first called at 6:30 a.m. Saturday for a report of a small amount of smoke coming from an oxidizer unit on the roof.
The unit cleans the exhaust air that comes off the manufacturing process, Chamberlain said.
Teleflex manufactures medical tubing and other tubing at the Jaffrey plant.
No manufacturing was taking place on Saturday, but some employees were at the plant to conduct maintenance.
When firefighters arrived they found the small amount of smoke coming from the machine as well as a small amount of a liquid substance oozing form the bottom of the machine.
No fire or smoke was found inside the building, but the Keene HAZMAT unit was called in just in case.
"It was a precaution for responders and employees at the facility to make sure it wasn't anything to be of any concern," he said.
Firefighters cleared at 12:48 p.m. after it was determined to be safe.
Teleflex will contact the manufacturer of the oxidizer unit for more information, Chamberlain said.
"We were not able to identify it completely what it was, but we were able to determine it wasn't a hazardous spill," he said.
No one was injured.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 6
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Senate removes student IDs as indisputable ID for voting - 0
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 0
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 0
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 2
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 4
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 13
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
License revocations for DWI announced