Home » News » Public Safety
No hazardous material found at Jaffrey firm
The special unit from Keene was brought in as a precaution, said Jaffrey Fire Chief David Chamberlain.
In the end a suspected hazardous liquid was determined not to be hazardous, he said.
Firefighters were first called at 6:30 a.m. Saturday for a report of a small amount of smoke coming from an oxidizer unit on the roof.
The unit cleans the exhaust air that comes off the manufacturing process, Chamberlain said.
Teleflex manufactures medical tubing and other tubing at the Jaffrey plant.
No manufacturing was taking place on Saturday, but some employees were at the plant to conduct maintenance.
When firefighters arrived they found the small amount of smoke coming from the machine as well as a small amount of a liquid substance oozing form the bottom of the machine.
No fire or smoke was found inside the building, but the Keene HAZMAT unit was called in just in case.
"It was a precaution for responders and employees at the facility to make sure it wasn't anything to be of any concern," he said.
Firefighters cleared at 12:48 p.m. after it was determined to be safe.
Teleflex will contact the manufacturer of the oxidizer unit for more information, Chamberlain said.
"We were not able to identify it completely what it was, but we were able to determine it wasn't a hazardous spill," he said.
No one was injured.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
NH's fishing industry staggered