Home » News » Public Safety
Man, dog hurt in Londonderry crash
Londonderry police say two Good Samaritans helped free a man trapped in his burning vehicle Saturday morning. (Londonderry police)
The man had to be airlifted to a Boston hospital, and his dog was taken to a Manchester veterinarian for treatment of injuries suffered in the crash, police said.
According to a press release, police were called to the area of 393 Mammoth Road for a motor vehicle crash at 6:18 a.m. and found a vehicle on fire with the driver trapped inside. A Londonderry man, identified as Earl Wickline, was using a fire extinguisher he had gotten from a local resident to try to put out the flames.
Police Sgt. Patrick Cheetham and Officers Jake King and Adam Lane helped Wickline and another Good Samaritan, Apryl Norris of Londonderry, free the driver from the vehicle, according to the release.
Londonderry fire department personnel helped transport the injured man to the parking lot of St. Jude Church on Mammoth Road, where he was taken by Boston Med-Flight to Brigham and Women's Hospital.
His condition is not known and police are not releasing his name until his family is notified.
Police said an initial investigation indicates the man was driving southbound on Mammoth Road when the vehicle veered off the northbound shoulder and into a tree. Police noted the roadway did have a layer of snow at the time but it was unknown if that contributed to the crash.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 13
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 5
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Human intervention hobbling ice fishermen
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings