Home » News » Public Safety
Man, dog hurt in Londonderry crash
Londonderry police say two Good Samaritans helped free a man trapped in his burning vehicle Saturday morning. (Londonderry police)
The man had to be airlifted to a Boston hospital, and his dog was taken to a Manchester veterinarian for treatment of injuries suffered in the crash, police said.
According to a press release, police were called to the area of 393 Mammoth Road for a motor vehicle crash at 6:18 a.m. and found a vehicle on fire with the driver trapped inside. A Londonderry man, identified as Earl Wickline, was using a fire extinguisher he had gotten from a local resident to try to put out the flames.
Police Sgt. Patrick Cheetham and Officers Jake King and Adam Lane helped Wickline and another Good Samaritan, Apryl Norris of Londonderry, free the driver from the vehicle, according to the release.
Londonderry fire department personnel helped transport the injured man to the parking lot of St. Jude Church on Mammoth Road, where he was taken by Boston Med-Flight to Brigham and Women's Hospital.
His condition is not known and police are not releasing his name until his family is notified.
Police said an initial investigation indicates the man was driving southbound on Mammoth Road when the vehicle veered off the northbound shoulder and into a tree. Police noted the roadway did have a layer of snow at the time but it was unknown if that contributed to the crash.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0