Home » News » Public Safety
Man, dog hurt in Londonderry crash
Londonderry police say two Good Samaritans helped free a man trapped in his burning vehicle Saturday morning. (Londonderry police)
Man's past spurs heroic fire rescue in Londonderry
The man had to be airlifted to a Boston hospital, and his dog was taken to a Manchester veterinarian for treatment of injuries suffered in the crash, police said.
According to a press release, police were called to the area of 393 Mammoth Road for a motor vehicle crash at 6:18 a.m. and found a vehicle on fire with the driver trapped inside. A Londonderry man, identified as Earl Wickline, was using a fire extinguisher he had gotten from a local resident to try to put out the flames.
Police Sgt. Patrick Cheetham and Officers Jake King and Adam Lane helped Wickline and another Good Samaritan, Apryl Norris of Londonderry, free the driver from the vehicle, according to the release.
Londonderry fire department personnel helped transport the injured man to the parking lot of St. Jude Church on Mammoth Road, where he was taken by Boston Med-Flight to Brigham and Women's Hospital.
His condition is not known and police are not releasing his name until his family is notified.
Police said an initial investigation indicates the man was driving southbound on Mammoth Road when the vehicle veered off the northbound shoulder and into a tree. Police noted the roadway did have a layer of snow at the time but it was unknown if that contributed to the crash.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 84
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 1
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 2
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?