Monarchs lose ground to Portland, fall 3-1
The setback stymied the Monarchs bid to gain ground on the Pirates, the Atlantic Division's frontrunner. Portland sports a 25-16-1-1 record for 52 points while second-place Manchester is 21-18-2-2 with 46 points.
Toffoli's goal at 19:58 of the first period attempted to rally the Monarchs who had fallen behind 2-0 before the game was two minutes old. Even though the strike whittled the deficit to one goal, Manchester sharpshooters were not able to sneak the puck past Portland goalie Mike Lee the rest of the way.
Lee finished with 31 saves.
Pirates Chris Summers and Darian Dziurzynski surprised Monarchs goalie Martin Jones with quick goals in the first. Summers tally came 27 second into the fray and Dziurzynski's strike came at 1:53.
Chris Conner added Portland's third goal on a middle period power play at 14:56.
Jones blanked the Pirates through the third and finished with 27 stops.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Competitors vie for heptathlon, decathlon titles - 0
- Rosters set for NH/Vt. lacrosse games - 0
- Sibling rivalries abound on track for decathlon, heptathlon - 0
- Coaches' All-Division girls' lacrosse teams - 0
- NH Boys' Lacrosse Coaches Association all-division teams - 0
- Former SNHU athletic director Chip Polak says he's Trinity's new AD - 2
- John Habib's High School Track: New England meet was Coe-Brown’s day in sun - 0
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Unpredictable endings spice up NHIAA baseball, softball tournaments - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Lacrosse: Moving experiences - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 23
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
- Central High student says he was knocked unconscious; police investigate racial motive - 0
Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off