Monarchs lose ground to Portland, fall 3-1
The setback stymied the Monarchs bid to gain ground on the Pirates, the Atlantic Division's frontrunner. Portland sports a 25-16-1-1 record for 52 points while second-place Manchester is 21-18-2-2 with 46 points.
Toffoli's goal at 19:58 of the first period attempted to rally the Monarchs who had fallen behind 2-0 before the game was two minutes old. Even though the strike whittled the deficit to one goal, Manchester sharpshooters were not able to sneak the puck past Portland goalie Mike Lee the rest of the way.
Lee finished with 31 saves.
Pirates Chris Summers and Darian Dziurzynski surprised Monarchs goalie Martin Jones with quick goals in the first. Summers tally came 27 second into the fray and Dziurzynski's strike came at 1:53.
Chris Conner added Portland's third goal on a middle period power play at 14:56.
Jones blanked the Pirates through the third and finished with 27 stops.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Francona can't look back - 0
- Francona's Tribe too much for Sox - 1
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: It’s all baseball now for Tito - 0
- White Sox lefty Quintana shuts down Red Sox - 0
- Dunn homer paces White Sox over Red Sox - 0
- Red Sox outlast Twins, lengthy rain delay - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats, New Britain split - 0
- Ayotte praises first responders, veterans - 0
- Fremont man returned to face NH charges - 0
- Portsmouth Naval Shipyard holds change of command ceremony - 0
- Sons' overdoses spur father to share his story with others - 0
- Miller ready to spell, but doesn't want to go 'Dutch' - 0
- Weather to slowly improve over long weekend - 0
- 4 arrested in investigation of heroin sales in Portsmouth - 0
- Golf cart to make visits to veterans cemetery easier - 0
Fremont man returned to face NH charges
Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 25, 2013
State puts out call for foster parents