Monarchs lose ground to Portland, fall 3-1
The setback stymied the Monarchs bid to gain ground on the Pirates, the Atlantic Division's frontrunner. Portland sports a 25-16-1-1 record for 52 points while second-place Manchester is 21-18-2-2 with 46 points.
Toffoli's goal at 19:58 of the first period attempted to rally the Monarchs who had fallen behind 2-0 before the game was two minutes old. Even though the strike whittled the deficit to one goal, Manchester sharpshooters were not able to sneak the puck past Portland goalie Mike Lee the rest of the way.
Lee finished with 31 saves.
Pirates Chris Summers and Darian Dziurzynski surprised Monarchs goalie Martin Jones with quick goals in the first. Summers tally came 27 second into the fray and Dziurzynski's strike came at 1:53.
Chris Conner added Portland's third goal on a middle period power play at 14:56.
Jones blanked the Pirates through the third and finished with 27 stops.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 0
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 0
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 0
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
- Chargers edge Manning, Broncos, 27-20 - 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings