Home » News » Public Safety
Texas man fell 3,000 feet to his death after slipping on Mt Adams
Richard Gabrielle, 64, from University Park, Texas, was part of a seven person team climbing the mountain by way of King's Ravine on Saturday. Gabrielle, an experienced hiker, was reportedly bringing up the rear of the team when he fell. Due to the high winds, and the fact he was last in line, no one else in the team heard or saw his fall, Gralenski reports.
While Gabrielle was well equipped for his climb — wearing crampons, utilizing an ice axe, and wearing a helmet at the time of his fall — he was not using a rope for the climb up the ravine, Gralenski reports.
Around 1 p.m., during the climb, the climber closets to Gabrielle, Leo Freeman, 60, from Presque Isle, Maine, looked back and did not see his companion. Worried, Freeman climbed back and saw evidence Gabrielle lost his footing and fell.
Rescuers and freeman went to the bottom of the Great Gully to find Gabrielle's body, which was recovered from the gully and brought to the Appalachia trailhead in Randolph at 7:02 p.m., according to Gralenski.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Driving lesson turns into car accident in Laconia - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Berlin building - 0
- NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck - 3
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Teen hurt in Amherst boating crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sen. Rand Paul in NH: Too early for judgments in IRS probe - 0
- Rabid raccoons in Hanover raise ‘rabies season’ concerns - 0
- Wanted fugitive arrested by U.S. Marshals in Manchester - 0
- Gregg named CEO of Wall Street lobbying group - 1
- Portsmouth woman faces up to life in prison in fatal overdose - 0
- Mass. sex offender indicted for sex assault on child at Plaistow Walmart - 0
- Home care worker indicted for kidnapping, sexual assault of male client - 0
- Police say house guest helped himself to credit card - 0
- Police say women were smoking crack with 2-year-old in car - 0
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack