Home » News » Public Safety
Texas man fell 3,000 feet to his death after slipping on Mt Adams
Richard Gabrielle, 64, from University Park, Texas, was part of a seven person team climbing the mountain by way of King's Ravine on Saturday. Gabrielle, an experienced hiker, was reportedly bringing up the rear of the team when he fell. Due to the high winds, and the fact he was last in line, no one else in the team heard or saw his fall, Gralenski reports.
While Gabrielle was well equipped for his climb — wearing crampons, utilizing an ice axe, and wearing a helmet at the time of his fall — he was not using a rope for the climb up the ravine, Gralenski reports.
Around 1 p.m., during the climb, the climber closets to Gabrielle, Leo Freeman, 60, from Presque Isle, Maine, looked back and did not see his companion. Worried, Freeman climbed back and saw evidence Gabrielle lost his footing and fell.
Rescuers and freeman went to the bottom of the Great Gully to find Gabrielle's body, which was recovered from the gully and brought to the Appalachia trailhead in Randolph at 7:02 p.m., according to Gralenski.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 1
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
- Bay State man hurt in Ripley Falls fall - 0
- Veteran Arizona officer named Rindge police chief - 3
- NH gun license form must change, critics say - 10
- Rimmon Heights honors Manchester Community Policing Division - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
KSC field hockey first in coaches poll
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate