Home » News » Public Safety
Texas man fell 3,000 feet to his death after slipping on Mt Adams
Richard Gabrielle, 64, from University Park, Texas, was part of a seven person team climbing the mountain by way of King's Ravine on Saturday. Gabrielle, an experienced hiker, was reportedly bringing up the rear of the team when he fell. Due to the high winds, and the fact he was last in line, no one else in the team heard or saw his fall, Gralenski reports.
While Gabrielle was well equipped for his climb — wearing crampons, utilizing an ice axe, and wearing a helmet at the time of his fall — he was not using a rope for the climb up the ravine, Gralenski reports.
Around 1 p.m., during the climb, the climber closets to Gabrielle, Leo Freeman, 60, from Presque Isle, Maine, looked back and did not see his companion. Worried, Freeman climbed back and saw evidence Gabrielle lost his footing and fell.
Rescuers and freeman went to the bottom of the Great Gully to find Gabrielle's body, which was recovered from the gully and brought to the Appalachia trailhead in Randolph at 7:02 p.m., according to Gralenski.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Nashua man critical after being hit by box truck - 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinnaRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 1
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0