Home » News » Public Safety
Texas man fell 3,000 feet to his death after slipping on Mt Adams
Richard Gabrielle, 64, from University Park, Texas, was part of a seven person team climbing the mountain by way of King's Ravine on Saturday. Gabrielle, an experienced hiker, was reportedly bringing up the rear of the team when he fell. Due to the high winds, and the fact he was last in line, no one else in the team heard or saw his fall, Gralenski reports.
While Gabrielle was well equipped for his climb — wearing crampons, utilizing an ice axe, and wearing a helmet at the time of his fall — he was not using a rope for the climb up the ravine, Gralenski reports.
Around 1 p.m., during the climb, the climber closets to Gabrielle, Leo Freeman, 60, from Presque Isle, Maine, looked back and did not see his companion. Worried, Freeman climbed back and saw evidence Gabrielle lost his footing and fell.
Rescuers and freeman went to the bottom of the Great Gully to find Gabrielle's body, which was recovered from the gully and brought to the Appalachia trailhead in Randolph at 7:02 p.m., according to Gralenski.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate