Home » News » Roads and Travel
Sarah Long Bridge reopened to traffic
New Hampshire Department of Transportation spokesman Bill Boynton said Sunday night that DOT crews completed the last safety tests on the bridge late Sunday afternoon, and that the bridge was reopened to vehicular and maritime traffic around 7 p.m.
Repair work on the Sarah Mildred Long bridge continued to progress Friday, but state transportation officials said it still remains unclear when the red-listed bridge will re-open to both vehicular and maritime traffic.
The bridge's center span became stuck one foot out of position on Wednesday, forcing its closure since then. Larger vessels were prohibited from traveling underneath it, and cars from driving over it.
With the new Memorial Bridge under construction, until the repairs to the Sarah Long Bridge were completed, the only bridge open to vehicular traffic between Portsmouth and Kittery, Maine, was the Piscataqua River Bridge on Interstate 95.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Electronic benefits: Sin and the EBT card - 2
- ‘Legislative cocaine:’ Gambling and state revenue - 3
- Minimum wages: Maximum spin - 14
- A CIA bombshell: Feinstein and the Fourth - 1
- Supervised visitation: The metal detector problem - 1
- Charter cap trap: A restriction to repeal - 0
- Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal - 4
- Bedford’s road bond: A good deal for a big fix - 1
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles Krauthammer: How to handle Putin - 0
- Div. I Hockey Championship: Central ends title drought on the ice - 0
- Div. II Hockey Championship: Bedford makes it perfect for third straight - 0
- Div. II Boys' Basketball Championship: It's back-to-back for Pembroke - 0
- Div. IV Boys' Basketball Championship: Stanley, Epping boys rally past Sunapee - 0
- College Basketball: Albany men take America East title - 0
- Slebodnick, Cornell women fall short in NCAAs - 0
- Edelman will re-sign with Patriots - 0
- Chace, Team USA win second straight Paralympic hockey gold - 0
NH Supreme Court: Protecting police from liability more important than rights of man wrongly accused of rape
14 people arrested in Nashua drug sweep
'Hometown Hottie' indicted on drug charges
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown announces exploratory committee for US Senate run
GOP panel stresses teamwork, sincerity