Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics cool Heat in 2OT, learn Rondo's out for year
Kevin Garnett had 24 points and 11 rebounds and Pierce collected 17 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists as the Celtics snapped the Heat's four-game winning streak shortly after learning that All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo was lost for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.
LeBron James scored 34 points and grabbed a season-high 16 rebounds and ex-Celtic Ray Allen scored 21 points in his first game at TD Garden since leaving Boston to sign with Miami in the offseason.
James, who hit a tying 3-pointer with seven seconds to go in regulation to force overtime, converted a three-point play with 62 seconds left in the second extra session for a 98-95 lead.
Jason Terry hit a pair of free throws before Pierce hit a pull-up jumper over James and the Celtics withstood a missed 3-point attempt by Shane Battier to halt a four-game skid at home.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Rondo, who leads the NBA in assists with 11.1 and had back-to-back triple-doubles in his last two games, was injured late in Friday's double-overtime loss in Atlanta. He went to New England Baptist Hospital on Sunday for an MRI exam that revealed the injury. ... The Celtics displayed a video tribute to Allen - who played five seasons in Boston - during the first timeout that was initially greeted with loud boos before the crowd gave him a standing ovation. ... Chris Bosh had 16 points and 16 rebounds and Dwyane Wade scored 17 for Miami, which fell to 10-10 on the road
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Spaulding Turnpike overhaul continues on schedule - 2
- Zip through I-93 tolls soon, stop at new rest area in the future - 18
- Troubled waters for Milton's Townhouse Road bridge - 3
- Portsmouth's Memorial Bridge to get lights this summer after fundraiser - 1
- North Country roads take annual pounding - 0
- Central Square construction in Bristol will last at least three months - 0
- Farmington bridge plans heard - 0
- Slowdowns ahead for motorists as I-93 expansion nears 2014 finish - 20
- Kittery says no to money for Memorial Bridge lights - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Will House, Senate continue the feud? - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: City down to the wire on school budget, superintendent - 0
- Service planned for mother of Newtown school shooter - 0
- ENH Power parent firm accused of false advertising - 0
- Soldier from Pelham remembered for self-sacrifice - 0
- New Hampshire energy suppliers announce new alliance - 0
- Mont Vernon murder mastermind drops appeal, citing 'personal and moral' reasons - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Are B's destiny's darlings? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Lackey's performance key for Sox - 0
Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester
Fremont man returned to face NH charges
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions