Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics cool Heat in 2OT, learn Rondo's out for year
Kevin Garnett had 24 points and 11 rebounds and Pierce collected 17 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists as the Celtics snapped the Heat's four-game winning streak shortly after learning that All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo was lost for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.
LeBron James scored 34 points and grabbed a season-high 16 rebounds and ex-Celtic Ray Allen scored 21 points in his first game at TD Garden since leaving Boston to sign with Miami in the offseason.
James, who hit a tying 3-pointer with seven seconds to go in regulation to force overtime, converted a three-point play with 62 seconds left in the second extra session for a 98-95 lead.
Jason Terry hit a pair of free throws before Pierce hit a pull-up jumper over James and the Celtics withstood a missed 3-point attempt by Shane Battier to halt a four-game skid at home.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Rondo, who leads the NBA in assists with 11.1 and had back-to-back triple-doubles in his last two games, was injured late in Friday's double-overtime loss in Atlanta. He went to New England Baptist Hospital on Sunday for an MRI exam that revealed the injury. ... The Celtics displayed a video tribute to Allen - who played five seasons in Boston - during the first timeout that was initially greeted with loud boos before the crowd gave him a standing ovation. ... Chris Bosh had 16 points and 16 rebounds and Dwyane Wade scored 17 for Miami, which fell to 10-10 on the road
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Page One Editorial: Control of NH’s future: Today’s House vote will be one for the ages - 17
- Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands - 9
- Missing the point: The IRS scandal and state power - 26
- Helping panhandlers: A method worth trying in Manchester - 7
- For the people: A century of the NH primary - 0
- What innovation? The casino way is the lazy way - 10
- Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name - 4
- Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse - 15
- Underestimating NH: Gun control picks two wrong targets - 35
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 0
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 0
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 1
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 3
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 12
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 32
License revocations for DWI announced