Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics cool Heat in 2OT, learn Rondo's out for year
Kevin Garnett had 24 points and 11 rebounds and Pierce collected 17 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists as the Celtics snapped the Heat's four-game winning streak shortly after learning that All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo was lost for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.
LeBron James scored 34 points and grabbed a season-high 16 rebounds and ex-Celtic Ray Allen scored 21 points in his first game at TD Garden since leaving Boston to sign with Miami in the offseason.
James, who hit a tying 3-pointer with seven seconds to go in regulation to force overtime, converted a three-point play with 62 seconds left in the second extra session for a 98-95 lead.
Jason Terry hit a pair of free throws before Pierce hit a pull-up jumper over James and the Celtics withstood a missed 3-point attempt by Shane Battier to halt a four-game skid at home.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Rondo, who leads the NBA in assists with 11.1 and had back-to-back triple-doubles in his last two games, was injured late in Friday's double-overtime loss in Atlanta. He went to New England Baptist Hospital on Sunday for an MRI exam that revealed the injury. ... The Celtics displayed a video tribute to Allen - who played five seasons in Boston - during the first timeout that was initially greeted with loud boos before the crowd gave him a standing ovation. ... Chris Bosh had 16 points and 16 rebounds and Dwyane Wade scored 17 for Miami, which fell to 10-10 on the road
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celtics' objective against Knicks: Make it to Friday - 0
- Celtics beat Knicks in OT, force Game 5 - 0
- Knicks push Celtics to the brink - 0
- Another Celts meltdown as Knicks take command of series - 0
- Celts 'point' to Garnett for solutions - 0
- Too much Carmelo as Knicks top Celtics in Game 1 - 0
- C's end regular season on losing note - 0
- Celtics clinch No. 7 seed with easy win over Magic - 0
- Heat's stars get better of Celtics - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Intruder, a burglar, and attempted break-in keep Manchester police busy - 0
- Afterschool activities canceled in Jaffrey - 0
- Banker convicted of fraud in scheme involving press maker exec - 0
- Mass. man charged in Nashua hit-and-run - 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 1
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 11
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Memorial Day Observances 2013