Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics cool Heat in 2OT, learn Rondo's out for year
Kevin Garnett had 24 points and 11 rebounds and Pierce collected 17 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists as the Celtics snapped the Heat's four-game winning streak shortly after learning that All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo was lost for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.
LeBron James scored 34 points and grabbed a season-high 16 rebounds and ex-Celtic Ray Allen scored 21 points in his first game at TD Garden since leaving Boston to sign with Miami in the offseason.
James, who hit a tying 3-pointer with seven seconds to go in regulation to force overtime, converted a three-point play with 62 seconds left in the second extra session for a 98-95 lead.
Jason Terry hit a pair of free throws before Pierce hit a pull-up jumper over James and the Celtics withstood a missed 3-point attempt by Shane Battier to halt a four-game skid at home.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Rondo, who leads the NBA in assists with 11.1 and had back-to-back triple-doubles in his last two games, was injured late in Friday's double-overtime loss in Atlanta. He went to New England Baptist Hospital on Sunday for an MRI exam that revealed the injury. ... The Celtics displayed a video tribute to Allen - who played five seasons in Boston - during the first timeout that was initially greeted with loud boos before the crowd gave him a standing ovation. ... Chris Bosh had 16 points and 16 rebounds and Dwyane Wade scored 17 for Miami, which fell to 10-10 on the road
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Voter restrictions: Who will govern us? - 26
- School board papers: Beaudry gets left behind - 1
- Data overreach Are programs really justified? The weak case for PRISM. - 11
- A Medicaid reduction? That is not likely - 8
- Border security? Maybe, some day, perhaps. Or not - 35
- Priority profs: University system tops HHS - 5
- Recognizing father: Not PC, but still OK - 1
- Closing Hanover St.: Not a 'free market' move - 6
- Step into the past: Discover old NH this weekend - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Students being evaluated at scene of Salem bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 2
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 3
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time