Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics cool Heat in 2OT, learn Rondo's out for year
Kevin Garnett had 24 points and 11 rebounds and Pierce collected 17 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists as the Celtics snapped the Heat's four-game winning streak shortly after learning that All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo was lost for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.
LeBron James scored 34 points and grabbed a season-high 16 rebounds and ex-Celtic Ray Allen scored 21 points in his first game at TD Garden since leaving Boston to sign with Miami in the offseason.
James, who hit a tying 3-pointer with seven seconds to go in regulation to force overtime, converted a three-point play with 62 seconds left in the second extra session for a 98-95 lead.
Jason Terry hit a pair of free throws before Pierce hit a pull-up jumper over James and the Celtics withstood a missed 3-point attempt by Shane Battier to halt a four-game skid at home.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Rondo, who leads the NBA in assists with 11.1 and had back-to-back triple-doubles in his last two games, was injured late in Friday's double-overtime loss in Atlanta. He went to New England Baptist Hospital on Sunday for an MRI exam that revealed the injury. ... The Celtics displayed a video tribute to Allen - who played five seasons in Boston - during the first timeout that was initially greeted with loud boos before the crowd gave him a standing ovation. ... Chris Bosh had 16 points and 16 rebounds and Dwyane Wade scored 17 for Miami, which fell to 10-10 on the road
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 3
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 0
- Gate City Musings: Mayor just keeps on spending - 0
- Nashua set to begin budget review - 0
- Manchester 'homeless meter' program seeks to deter panhandling - 0
Volunteer drivers needed in Windham
North Country ATV trail opening on schedule
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
43 killers on lifetime parole - but where?