Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A tax on really poor poetry
Never let it be said that the crusty old conservative publisher wasn't willing to help out. Surely, the Democrats will run out of tax ideas at some point, so in the spirit of harmony and good citizenship, I have decided to help.
One state representative has already moved to hike the beer tax. I think we should have a near-beer tax. If you are anywhere near a beer, you should be taxed.
Broadbased taxes are near and dear to many Democrats. The broader an item, the more they like to tax it. Since it gets cold in New Hampshire, I think we should have a tax on ice. We should also have one on nice. There are a lot of nice people in New Hampshire. Tax 'em all.
We should have an excise tax and a tax on exercise. Yoga? Yep, and yogurt, too; Stonyfield's farm and the Dublin zoo.
We should tax birds, and herds (of cows, sheep, and goats).
I'd tax your coat, and whatever floats your boat.
Mel Thomson used to say "ax the tax." I say we tax the ax, and then have a tax on tacks.
Democrats want to raise so-called sin taxes, on smokes as well as booze. With apologies to Dr. Seuss, I say we have a syntax tax, and one on anything you lose.
I'd tax your kit, and caboodle, and also pets: large, small, and poodle.
I'd tax all kids, as well as their folks. And if they think that's funny, I'd tax all jokes.
New Hampshire has mountains? I'd tax them all, as well as the leaves, spring, summer, and fall.
I'd tax the tourists, for just entering our state. And I'd tax them when they leave, for staying too late.
You don't like the view tax? Hold on tight, I'd have a surtax on the view at night.
Gas tax a bit too high for your liking? I'd double it, and then keep right on hiking.
Oh, and that's another notion. I'd tax outdoor sports, on lakes, fields or ocean.
There's just one levy I don't wish to see. That would be one that taxes golfers, like me.
Write to Joe McQuaid at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 19
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Shooting victim's spouse's car being searched - 0
- Altercation leads to suspect fleeing, threatening police - 0
- Crash ends high-speed chase in Lyndeborough - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- DWI license revocations - 0
- High speed chase ends in crash in Lyndeborough - 2
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 3
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm