Pinkerton Academy in Derry set to begin search for headmaster
Anderson will be retiring in June of 2014. She announced her impending retirement to the trustees last April.
Anderson said her contract required a two-year notification for leaving her position, hence the long lead time for the search for a replacement.
The 2013-14 school year will be her 39th year at the school, she said.
The Pinkerton trustees are hosting a public forum on Tuesday, Feb. 5, at the Freshman Academy Lecture Hall at the school at 7 p.m.
"The purpose of this forum is to enlist the help of all sending communities to find out what criteria, qualities and characteristics we want in the new headmaster of Pinkerton Academy," trustee Kimberly Smith said.
To help with the search process, the trustees have drafted a preliminary version of a job description of the headmaster position to assist with the search process.
According to the draft, the position requires administrative certification by the New Hampshire Department of Education, a master's degree with at least five years of administrative experience and seven years of high school teaching experience.
The preferred list of qualifications include experience working with state and regional accreditation agencies, a doctorate in education or relevant field experience, experience working with state officials and boards, and external resource development, grants and fundraising experience.
Further, the draft job description lists bullet points for leadership, financial background, skills and knowledge and personal characteristics.
Some of the leadership qualities highlighted include superior management skills, a history of leading and managing a department, and a track record of success in hiring faculty and staff members who are well suited to meet a school's needs.
Among the skills preferred are superb communication and interpersonal skills and experience as a classroom teacher and academic leader who has refined curriculum, incorporated innovative approaches to education into an existing program, and demonstrated a commitment to customizing education to meet a variety of learning styles and student needs.
Personal characteristics mentioned in the job description include being a person of unquestioned honesty and integrity who deals with others in a straightforward fashion and demonstrating that he or she is visible, approachable, and an accessible leader engaged in the daily life of the school.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: Sometimes, we have too much on our plates - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Chickens come home to roost with lucky German golfers - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: History has a way of repeating itself, and we are doing that with a second 'Memories' book - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Those who do so much good for NH often go unnoticed and unrecognized - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Getting it right with kids, the comics and the rest of the paper - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Marmaduke's back — and so's Seinfeld - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Nothing Goofy about a kick in the seat - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Yanks' pitcher could have used AG's help - 1
READER COMMENTS: 6
- 37 hikers rescued from Mt. Major in Alton during weekend - 2
- Rochester eyes another Legion baseball crown - 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 4
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 2
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
Police say boy, 6, found in getaway car
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's