Home » News » Public Safety
Plaistow man, dog escape burning home
John O'Connor said he was asleep when he heard a smoke detector go off at his house at 106 Willard Way shortly after 9 a.m. He ran for a fire extinguisher, but the fire, which appears to have started in the living room at the front of the house, was too intense, he said.
With the smoke hovering above him, O'Connor, 47, said he crawled on the floor and found his 12-year-old dog, a shih tzu named Dudley, hiding under the kitchen table.
"Thank God he didn't run from me, that's all I have to say," he said.
The two were the only ones home at the time and managed to escape. O'Connor said his hair was singed by the heat, but otherwise he wasn't hurt.
The fate of his two cats, Simba and Sweeney, wasn't known. He feared they may have perished in the blaze, which continued to smolder at 11: 30 a.m.
O'Connor said he wasn't sure what may have started the fire. He said he has a woodstove, but it wasn't being used at the time.
Plaistow Fire Chief John McArdle said the cause wasn't known. He said the front of the house was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.
"Our goal was to preserve what we could," he said.
While the main house was heavily damaged, an area attached to the house that O'Connor uses for his business building customized motorcycles was saved.
O'Connor lives at the residence with his wife, Susan, and son, Michael, both of whom were not home at the time. Firefighters from several area towns responded to the scene and the Plaistow fire station to assist Plaistow firefighters.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 1
- Death investigation under way in Manchester, no foul play suspected - 3
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 0
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 13
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
- Londonderry emergency shelter will now be open to pets - 0
Dodgeball returns to Windham schools
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time