Home » News » Public Safety
Plaistow man, dog escape burning home
John O'Connor said he was asleep when he heard a smoke detector go off at his house at 106 Willard Way shortly after 9 a.m. He ran for a fire extinguisher, but the fire, which appears to have started in the living room at the front of the house, was too intense, he said.
With the smoke hovering above him, O'Connor, 47, said he crawled on the floor and found his 12-year-old dog, a shih tzu named Dudley, hiding under the kitchen table.
"Thank God he didn't run from me, that's all I have to say," he said.
The two were the only ones home at the time and managed to escape. O'Connor said his hair was singed by the heat, but otherwise he wasn't hurt.
The fate of his two cats, Simba and Sweeney, wasn't known. He feared they may have perished in the blaze, which continued to smolder at 11: 30 a.m.
O'Connor said he wasn't sure what may have started the fire. He said he has a woodstove, but it wasn't being used at the time.
Plaistow Fire Chief John McArdle said the cause wasn't known. He said the front of the house was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.
"Our goal was to preserve what we could," he said.
While the main house was heavily damaged, an area attached to the house that O'Connor uses for his business building customized motorcycles was saved.
O'Connor lives at the residence with his wife, Susan, and son, Michael, both of whom were not home at the time. Firefighters from several area towns responded to the scene and the Plaistow fire station to assist Plaistow firefighters.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072