Home » News » Public Safety
Plaistow man, dog escape burning home
Firefighters battled this two-alarm fire at 106 Willard Way in Plaistow Tuesday morning. Jason Schreiber/Union Leader Correspondent
John O'Connor said he was asleep when he heard a smoke detector go off at his house at 106 Willard Way shortly after 9 a.m. He ran for a fire extinguisher, but the fire, which appears to have started in the living room at the front of the house, was too intense, he said.
With the smoke hovering above him, O'Connor, 47, said he crawled on the floor and found his 12-year-old dog, a shih tzu named Dudley, hiding under the kitchen table.
"Thank God he didn't run from me, that's all I have to say," he said.
The two were the only ones home at the time and managed to escape. O'Connor said his hair was singed by the heat, but otherwise he wasn't hurt.
The fate of his two cats, Simba and Sweeney, wasn't known. He feared they may have perished in the blaze, which continued to smolder at 11: 30 a.m.
O'Connor said he wasn't sure what may have started the fire. He said he has a woodstove, but it wasn't being used at the time.
Plaistow Fire Chief John McArdle said the cause wasn't known. He said the front of the house was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.
"Our goal was to preserve what we could," he said.
While the main house was heavily damaged, an area attached to the house that O'Connor uses for his business building customized motorcycles was saved.
O'Connor lives at the residence with his wife, Susan, and son, Michael, both of whom were not home at the time. Firefighters from several area towns responded to the scene and the Plaistow fire station to assist Plaistow firefighters.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Driver killed in crash on Route 101A in Amherst is identified - 1
- Need a job? The NH State Prison wants you - 0
- Man dies, toddler rescued in Manchester apartment fire - 0
- Motorist struck by car while changing tire on I-93 in Londonderry - 2
- Man, 60, found dead in burned Manchester apartment building; 1-year-old boy rescued - 1
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 1
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Alderman, chief have heated exchange over police residency requirements - 35
- Winter heating season means homeowners need to be alert - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Keene police make arrest in riot investigation based on digital photo - 1
- Leaks fixed, visits resume at Goffstown women's prison - 0
- Man who died in Manchester blaze identified; a cigarette was the cause - 0
- Hudson police charge man with impersonating police officer - 0
- Accident results in DWI charge for Hudson man - 0
- College Hockey: UNH freshman Clark ready, willing and able - 0
- Home-grown talent has UNH women's cross country out in front - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Playoff picture will get clearer - 0
- New players, new coach, new look for Monarchs in home opener tonight - 0
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison
Debate rule No. 1: Don't crash
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks