Home » Opinion » Editorials
Farewell, Claire Ebel: An honest advocate
Ebel was a powerful advocate for civil liberties regardless of whether the Legislature was led by Repubilcans or Democrats. That says a lot about her integrity. She fought for ideals, not for party, and that made her very effective.
Ebel made allies and enemies on all sides. If she thought a proposed law would trample individual rights, she would fight it with vigor no matter which party was behind it. She forged close alliances with Republicans and Democrats, and she kept the NHCLU politically independent, refusing to let it become anyone's partisan tool.
We did not always agree with Ebel on the issues. When we did, we found her to be a strong and capable ally. When we did not, she always was a formidable opponent.
The world of politics is filled with too many hacks, posers, power-grabbers and charlatans. For 30 years, Claire Ebel stood out as an honest advocate for people who needed one. In Concord, her voice will be missed.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 39
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 36
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
- Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week - 21
- Asking about marriage: The Census should keep doing it - 3
- All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so - 14
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry victim of Maine shooting expected to recover - 0
- Derry man facing sex assaults wants trial, rejects plea deal - 0
- Bail set at $20,000 for escapee captured after DWI wreck of stolen car - 0
- Utility truck overturns as vehicles dodge ladder on Route 101 in Exeter - 0
- Missing inmate arrested in Rochester after crash - 1
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'