Home » Opinion » Editorials
Farewell, Claire Ebel: An honest advocate
Ebel was a powerful advocate for civil liberties regardless of whether the Legislature was led by Repubilcans or Democrats. That says a lot about her integrity. She fought for ideals, not for party, and that made her very effective.
Ebel made allies and enemies on all sides. If she thought a proposed law would trample individual rights, she would fight it with vigor no matter which party was behind it. She forged close alliances with Republicans and Democrats, and she kept the NHCLU politically independent, refusing to let it become anyone's partisan tool.
We did not always agree with Ebel on the issues. When we did, we found her to be a strong and capable ally. When we did not, she always was a formidable opponent.
The world of politics is filled with too many hacks, posers, power-grabbers and charlatans. For 30 years, Claire Ebel stood out as an honest advocate for people who needed one. In Concord, her voice will be missed.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Who scares Shaheen? She wants to stop Scott Brown - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 8
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 1
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 73
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 4
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 57
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 59
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Franklin Pierce's Kirsh to retire as AD - 0
- UNH Wildcat gridders can't stop Toledo, 54-20 - 0
- UNH Wildcats volleyball looking forward to good season - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats' cuts hold few surprises - 0
- New-look Boston Red Sox taking test run - 0
- NH Fisher Cats bats silenced in Conn., in 3-1 loss - 0
- Boston Red Sox limited to one hit in loss to Tampa Bay, 7-0 - 0
- Donald Trump to headline 1st Amendment event in NH - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Drivers education to science, meeting all about the kids - 0
Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America