Home » Opinion » Editorials
Farewell, Claire Ebel: An honest advocate
Ebel was a powerful advocate for civil liberties regardless of whether the Legislature was led by Repubilcans or Democrats. That says a lot about her integrity. She fought for ideals, not for party, and that made her very effective.
Ebel made allies and enemies on all sides. If she thought a proposed law would trample individual rights, she would fight it with vigor no matter which party was behind it. She forged close alliances with Republicans and Democrats, and she kept the NHCLU politically independent, refusing to let it become anyone's partisan tool.
We did not always agree with Ebel on the issues. When we did, we found her to be a strong and capable ally. When we did not, she always was a formidable opponent.
The world of politics is filled with too many hacks, posers, power-grabbers and charlatans. For 30 years, Claire Ebel stood out as an honest advocate for people who needed one. In Concord, her voice will be missed.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 2
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 1
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 12
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name