Home » Opinion » Editorials
Farewell, Claire Ebel: An honest advocate
Ebel was a powerful advocate for civil liberties regardless of whether the Legislature was led by Repubilcans or Democrats. That says a lot about her integrity. She fought for ideals, not for party, and that made her very effective.
Ebel made allies and enemies on all sides. If she thought a proposed law would trample individual rights, she would fight it with vigor no matter which party was behind it. She forged close alliances with Republicans and Democrats, and she kept the NHCLU politically independent, refusing to let it become anyone's partisan tool.
We did not always agree with Ebel on the issues. When we did, we found her to be a strong and capable ally. When we did not, she always was a formidable opponent.
The world of politics is filled with too many hacks, posers, power-grabbers and charlatans. For 30 years, Claire Ebel stood out as an honest advocate for people who needed one. In Concord, her voice will be missed.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sanbornton voters add money back into budget - 0
- Sanbornton voters say no to SB 2 - 0
- Old building, new roads on Peterborough warrant - 0
- Sanbornton to vote again on SB2 - 0
- Employee pay, dump trucks key Sanbornton warrant - 0
- Proposed New London budget shows 3 percent increase - 0
- Conway voters ok school budget, but reject teacher's contract - 0
- Ortega, Barnes reelected to Merrimack School Board - 0
- Merrimack polls open today - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 0
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 0
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 1
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 3
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 12
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 32
License revocations for DWI announced