All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Nashua man to plead guilty to 2010 killing

Union Leader Correspondent

January 31. 2013 2:47PM


NASHUA - A 22-year-old man accused of stabbing to death his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend is expected to plead guilty to the 2010 killing.

This week, Brandon Nye signed a notice of intent to plead guilty to second-degree murder, a negotiated plea that will carry a recommended sentence of 35 years to life in prison, according to court documents. A plea and sentencing hearing has been scheduled for March 1 at the Hillsborough County Superior Court.

Last October, Judge Jacalyn Colburn ruled that Nye, who was previously diagnosed with schizophrenia and post-traumatic stress disorder, was competent to stand trial for the murder of Brandon Gaudette. Nye, formerly of Nashua, is accused of stabbing to death Gaudette, 21, more than two years ago at the Nashua home of Nye's ex-girlfriend.

At the time, Gaudette was reportedly dating the young woman, Erin Allwood.

Nye was arrested hours after the attack, and competency issues were raised during his first court hearing when he appeared with bandages around his wrists. During a previous court hearing, Dr. Daniel Comiskey, chief forensic psychiatrist for the Secure Psychiatric Unit, told the court that Nye was remorseful for his role in the death of Gaudette, saying Nye frequently suffers from nightmares, or flashbacks, of the crime on Aug. 23, 2010.

As a child, Nye was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and after a series of undisclosed traumatic events in his childhood, he was then diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, according to Comiskey, who testified that Nye was later categorized as a schizophrenic during evaluations at the state's Secure Psychiatric Unit.

While Nye's hallucinations have not completely disappeared, Comiskey previously told the court that they have reduced in severity and intensity after months of treatment.

Nye was expected to face trial early this year on one charge of first-degree murder and two alternative counts of second-degree murder for allegedly stabbing Gaudette in the chest multiple times with a knife.

Nye's public defender, Edward Cross, said previously that Nye's "overwhelming sense of remorse" could prohibit his ability to adequately participate in the trial and make decisions that are in his best interest.

According to the notice of intent to plead guilty, which Nye signed Monday, credit will be sought for the time he has been incarcerated. Without the plea agreement, Nye would have faced a mandatory sentence of life in prison without parole if convicted of first-degree murder.

This past summer, Gaudette's mother, Cindy Gaudette, told the New Hampshire Union Leader that her son and Allwood were both receiving threatening phone calls and texts from Nye in the nine months prior to the murder.

She said Nye arrived at Allwood's residence on Aug. 23, 2010, coming after both of them. Gaudette claims her son protected Allwood from being hurt or possibly killed during the attack.

In hindsight, Cindy Gaudette said her son may have been safer in the Marines, a life-long dream that had almost become a reality.

He was previously employed at St. Joseph Hospital as a licensed nurse assistant. Prior to his death, Brandon Gaudette was hired as a security guard for Securitas Security in Chelmsford, Mass., where he was assigned to work at UPS. He had planned to join the US Marines but died before he could enroll. His hope was to someday becoming a local police officer, according to his mother.

Crime, law and justice Nashua

More Headlines