Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
Sep 4, 2014
Driver facing threat charges says vehicle wrongly searched
Michael Bontaintes, 20, of Derry is facing two counts of criminal threatening for allegedly accosting the female driver and a male passenger in her car after the crash last June 12. Defense lawyers want a judge to throw out drug evidence collected from Bontaintes' truck during the investigation of the crash, saying police needed a search warrant before going through the vehicle.
Derry police responded to the crash at about 10:30 p.m. But when they arrived at the traffic circle, Bontaintes wasn't there, according to court documents.
An officer found Bontaintes and his truck at a Fairway Drive residence and took him into custody a short time later, according to public defender Emily Sieber.
Sieber said in court papers that the officer then searched the truck - following a department policy to take an inventory of the vehicle - but never obtained a search warrant. Police found a knife, a digital scale, aluminum foil with burnt residue and two orange pills later identified as burenophine, according to court records. Bontaintes is arguing that seizing evidence from his truck without a search warrant violated his constitutional rights.
Prosecutors have objected to Bontaintes argument. A judge has scheduled a hearing on the matter for Feb. 21.
In additional to the criminal threatening charges, Bontaintes was also indicted for possession of a controlled drug, conduct after an accident and driving after revocation.
The criminal threatening charges are class B felonies, punishable by up to 3½ to 7 years in state prison. Bontaintes is scheduled for trial the week of March 11.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Somersworth plaza evacuated after phoned threat to blow up NH State Liquor Store - 0
- Londonderry man killed in cycle crash - 0
- Rowdy night ushers in Keene Pumpkin Festival - 0
- Police seek two men in Concord home invasion - 0
- No arrests in Manchester SWAT incident - 0
- Man wanted in Fremont homicide investigation found dead - 0
- Free Keene founder gets community service sentence for fraud conviction - 1
- UPDATED: Police locate man wanted in Fremont homicide investigation - 0
- Suspect in Hampstead home invasion seeks to have statements tossed - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Canaan man killed when car falls on him - 0
- Fight leads to stabbing in Plymouth - 0
- Canaan man dies after vehicle falls on him - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Crunch time and the dollars are flying in NH races - 0
- Vickers earns first pole in five years - 0
- James Pindell's The Back Story: Does the grassroots approach still work? - 4
- Shaheen: 'Don't Import Candiate That Outsources Jobs' - 20
- Abandoned Property: Romney, Brownies and even J.D. Salinger are on the list, are you? - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Levasseur back on MPD's case, but this time with numbers - 5
Monitoring social media
More violence at Keene
Boz Scaggs explores a bit of 'Memphis'
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
Sprague seeks more assets from Fuller Oil
More violence at Keene