Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Road work, town budget tops Northwood issues
The deliberative session is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. in the auditorium of Coe-Brown Northwood Academy at 907 First N.H. Turnpike.
Article 5 would appropriate $3,303,012 as the town's operating budget. It is $27,547 - or .8 percent - larger than last year's budget of $3,275,465. If defeated in March, a $3,303,352 default budget will be enacted.
.If approved, Article 2 would authorize the town to take out a 10-year bond for $750,000 to pay for road improvements.
Officials plan to take advantage of low interest rates, estimated at 2 percent, and use funds from State Highway Block Grants to make the annual payments.
.Article 4 asks residents to adopt the provisions of RSA 31:95-c which requires all revenues from the State Highway Block Grant to be placed in a special revenue fund and be used for highway expenditures and related bond payments. If Article 2 fails, this article becomes null.
.In other considerations, Article 3 would allow the town to enter into a $227,572 lease-to-own agreement to buy and equip a new ambulance, which would replace the fire department's 2007 vehicle. It would also draw $48,617 from the Fire/Rescue Vehicle Replacement Special Revenue Fund for the first of five years of payments.
.Articles 9 and 10 would change the positions of town treasurer and highway (road) agent from an elected role to an appointed position. As a result, the town would be able to establish standards for performance for financial operation or maintaining the roads of the community.
.Article 20 petitions residents to appropriate $15,681.12 to change deputy town clerk/tax collector to a full-time position.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 8
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 1
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
- McWages: They're about value - 82
- Night lights: Francestown freaks out - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice