Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Kingston seeks to preserve land
The meeting will be held at 9 a.m. at the town hall and will be the only chance for voters to discuss and amend the town budget and proposed warrant articles before a final vote March 12.
Topping the warrant is the town's proposed budget, totaling $4,727,673. If the budget plan fails, the town will operate with a $4,596,618 default budget.
Other spending proposals include a citizen-petitioned warrant article seeking $424,000 to purchase approximately 150 acres of land in the Rockrimmon area. The purchase would be made using money in a land acquisition capital reserve fund and permanently conserved through federal and state funding and private sources. The Southeast Land Trust, a nonprofit conservation organization, would hold a conservation easement on the property.
Voters will also be asked to spend $33,000 to buy a new pickup truck to replace the fire department's 23-year-old utility truck while a second article seeks $195,000 to replace a 12-year-old ambulance with a new one. The vehicle would be paid for using money in an ambulance replacement special revenue fund.
Also up for discussion is a warrant article seeking $150,000 to renovate the Grace Daley House at 165 Main St. The town-owned building next to town hall is now used for a clothing thrift shop. Neither selectmen nor the budget committee support the proposal. If it fails, selectmen have recommended a second article seeking to raze the building because it is unsafe.
A citizen-petitioned article asks voters to establish a Heritage Commission while another seeks $2,500 to be placed in a preservation fund to protect Powwow Pond from exotic plant species.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- PSNH says storm ranks as 4th largest for peak outage - 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 0
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket