Home » News » Public Safety
Cause of Bedford office building blaze still under investigation
According to Fire Chief Scott Wiggin, no one was injured in the blaze at the Daniel Webster Office Park on the Old Route 3, located south of Target and Lowe's and the new bridge that crosses the Everett Turnpike, but the call came in just in time for the evening commute.
"We received a call of fire through a roof at 288 South River Road at about 5 p.m.," Wiggin said, and when crews arrived, fire could be seen coming from both the roof and windows of the building.
"It was fairly well-involved at that time," Wiggin said.
Wiggin described the scene as a "nightmare" for police officers diverting traffic.
South River Road, Technology Drive and half of Hawthorne Drive were closed and motorists were directed to the Everett Turnpike and other alternate routes.
Wiggin said the fire started in an attic space, which was a lightweight truss type of construction.
"It's like a box of kindling," he said.
While one portion of the structure was a total loss, Wiggin said the building was in an "L" shaped configuration and a firewall separating the two buildings likely saved the second.
"We were able to control it at the firewall," he said. "That's the intention of firewalls, to give you that barrier, that line of demarcation."
Seven communities provided mutual aid, including Goffstown, Merrimack and Londonderry, with New Boston and Hooksett providing station coverage.
An excavator was brought in to turn over debris, allowing firefighters to check for hot spots, and South River Road re-opened at about 9 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
- Injured hiker carried to safety off Mount Israel in Sandwich - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 0
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 0
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 0
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Offseason needs aplenty - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance