Home » News » Public Safety
Cause of Bedford office building blaze still under investigation
According to Fire Chief Scott Wiggin, no one was injured in the blaze at the Daniel Webster Office Park on the Old Route 3, located south of Target and Lowe's and the new bridge that crosses the Everett Turnpike, but the call came in just in time for the evening commute.
"We received a call of fire through a roof at 288 South River Road at about 5 p.m.," Wiggin said, and when crews arrived, fire could be seen coming from both the roof and windows of the building.
"It was fairly well-involved at that time," Wiggin said.
Wiggin described the scene as a "nightmare" for police officers diverting traffic.
South River Road, Technology Drive and half of Hawthorne Drive were closed and motorists were directed to the Everett Turnpike and other alternate routes.
Wiggin said the fire started in an attic space, which was a lightweight truss type of construction.
"It's like a box of kindling," he said.
While one portion of the structure was a total loss, Wiggin said the building was in an "L" shaped configuration and a firewall separating the two buildings likely saved the second.
"We were able to control it at the firewall," he said. "That's the intention of firewalls, to give you that barrier, that line of demarcation."
Seven communities provided mutual aid, including Goffstown, Merrimack and Londonderry, with New Boston and Hooksett providing station coverage.
An excavator was brought in to turn over debris, allowing firefighters to check for hot spots, and South River Road re-opened at about 9 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name